YCGL - October 13 - Bostonian Rap-sody

 Hello Campers!  New edition, sans Truck and Trailer.

This is a simple trip to lay out, Fly from Denver to Boston on October 13th, Stay in the Boston confines for 11 days and Fly home on the 24th.  

When I talked to Pastor Nate last Sunday, I told him I was flying to Boston.  He said Jill, his wife, had just flown out of DIA a few days before and had an hour and a half in the security line, and people were missing planes.  I greatly dislike (read hate!) waiting in line for security (though I like security itself) so I decided I would not risk it and leave early for my 11:35 flight.  Also, traffic on I-25 from Cheyenne to Denver can be evil to drive with construction and people wanting to drive 85-90 by zig-zagging back and forth and causing everyone else to have to brake and slow down.  And on a good day, with one rest stop for the morning pressure relief, it takes about 2-1/2 hours to drive, often pushing 3.  

So, adding time in for alternate routes and construction and TSA, I left the house at 6:00am.  Never my favorite time to get up, (as opposed to bright and early at 10:30 like real people).  Driving comfortably around the speed limit, it ended that the traffic was not bad at all, no construction slowdown and only one complete stop on the highway for no definable reason, I got to the parking lot in 2 hours and 15 minutes.   Rode the bus, checked the bag, rode the train and got to the concourse by 9:00, two and a half hours before the flight.  Which I didn't mind one bit.  If Erik doesn't walk right on the plane, he's there too early.  I ate lunch, read, walked through the Tattered Cover bookstore (a long time Denver standby, once one of the biggest independent bookstores in the country, though Powell's Book City in Portland has that honor now), people watched, and maybe dozed a tad.  

I flew Delta.  I haven't for a number of years, now, so it was a new and good experience.  I ended up with a window seat.  I generally prefer the aisle because I am prone to getting up and walking during flights, and I feel somewhat trapped by the window.  However, I didn't have to get up once.  And the seats were comfortable and (as opposed to United and Frontier and Spirit) had leg room.  I didn't feel cramped at all.  And a full suite of movies to watch for free.  I watched "A Streetcar Named Desire".  (I had a couple of days earlier watched a Youtube of a "Stella" competition held in New Orleans every year around Tennesee William's birthday, so it was fun(?) watch the Stella scenes.)  I really enjoyed the flight.

The flight got in early, it was raining in Boston and the traffic was terrible, so I took a cab out to Erik's.  After getting situated, we did a tour of the house.  It is a lot different than the way I left it last year during the height of the remodel.  For example, the living room has furniture and a TV and lights and paint and hangings.  When I left, it was full of boxes and you could barely get around.  Erik has built in shelves in the nook in the kitchen.  The closets were finished, they have remodeled the main bathroom, i.e., they are about 95% done.  Oh, and the first floor apartment is occupied!  That was where I stayed last year, where my bedroom was the only room which was not under construction or a storage room, and the bathroom was non-exisitant.  They are close!

They are in a great location for eating.  Within one block, there is Chinese, Poke, Vietnamese, and a hamburger pub.  Another block is a corner grocery/deli with an incredible Itailian sub.  And with a 15 minute walk, you are at Mass Ave a couple of blocks from Harvard Square, so a world of dining is available.  

Comments