YCGL - Minnesota - Day 8 - Sunday, April 24 - Decorah - 127 miles

It rained last night.  It didn't feel windy, so the drops came down vertically onto the roof and slides.  I love sleeping in the rain, its almost like a massage on my brain.  I sleep so soundly, especially when I'm in my warm bed with the electric mattress pad.  Ahaaaaaaa.....snore......

Today was primarily a travel day, going from Spring Green, WI, passed Taliesin and on to Decorah, IA.  The drive went well, except for the wind.  I was heading due west most of the time, but the windmills indicated that the wind was from the southwest, so not only was I driving into the wind, it was blowing at a 45 degree angle from the front and gusting, trying to push me off the road.  It was white knuckle driving almost the whole way.  

I got to the campground about 3:00.  I was hoping that there would be time to go over to the Vesterheim Norwegian-American Museum, but it was closing at 4:00 so there wouldn't have been enough time to wander.  I talked to the lady in the park registration desk, told her I wanted to go to see Luther College and the Vesterheim tomorrow and could I leave the motorhome in place, rather than try and drive it and the car around town.  As there was only one other camper in the county park, she said no problem and that she would leave a note for the person working the desk on Monday.

I unhitched the pony, ah, the car and drove around Decorah, first to Luther and then downtown and around the community.  Decorah is a pretty town, nestled in a broad valley, very green already.  And I've always had an attachment to Luther.  I know a number of Luther grads, and I was offered a scholarship there after high school, but their automotive engineering program was lacking...or nonexistent.  Luther and St. Olaf in Northfield, MN are the two anchor Lutheran schools (sorry Texas Lutheran), i.e., the Harvard and Stanford of Lutheran schools, though I won't argue which school was which.  Tomorrow...

There was a very good WiFi signal, so I was able to catch up on the blog and get ahead on the Norwegian that night.  

Comments