YCGL - The New Adventure - The National Historic Trails Interpretive Center and Fort Caspar - August 14, 2022

 Rain!  Have I mentioned that I love to hear rain on the roof of the camper.  John Sebastian "You and me and rain on the roof.  Caught up in a summer shower, Dryin' while it soaks the flowers, Maybe we'll be caught for  hours!  Waiting out the sun."  We saw the Spoonful live at Central Park when we lived back east.  But, I do love listening to the rain, especially at night or when I'm napping.  It's like little fingertips typing me a message that I can hear if not read.   

So, it's been raining for over an hour now; it rained some this afternoon, because the road and paths were wet when I walked.  Anyway, its cooler now and very pleasant.  

Really, not much happening today.  I didn't sleep well last night.  I was pretty keyed up with the writing, but after two beers, I should have gone right to sleep as soon as my head hit the pillows, but I didn't.  

However, I did go to the National Historic Trails Interpretive Center this morning.  

   
It is also the Vistor's Center for Casper.      The entrance is on the far north side of the parking lot 
and is somewhat hidden.

The Oregon Trail, the Mormon Trail, the California Trail, the Pony Express and parts of the Boseman Trail all went through Casper on the paths used by Native American people for thousands of years.  It is very nicely done, with exhibits for young children and for older adults.  I spent 2-1/2 hours there, and could have easily spent more because I started skipping over the reading material which was extensive.  

The Center is very attractive and overlooks the city of Casper, so you can see many of the locations which are discussed in the Center.  


From there, I drove the 4 miles to the Fort Caspar Campground.  It is not a particularly nice campground, it's a big gravel parking lot with a lot of longtimers living there, but it is in a very interesting location with a lot of history.  I took a long walk through the campground, along a big bend in the North Platte River and then over to the museum at the fort.  However, it was late, so I didn't get into the museum.  I'll do that tomorrow.

While there was plenty of room at my campsite, I parked a little too close to the local flora, so had to be careful when I walked out the door.  There was a German family parked next to me.  The father asked if I had a corkscrew for their bottle of wine.  He followed me to the door when I went in and got it, and I think he may have come in harms way by accident.  
 
A "little house" on wheels. At least, that's how it 
got there.  The skirting at the bottom says its been
there a while.  Little houses are buildings 
8 ft x 16-20 ft.,i.e., the size of my trailer.... 
Maybe not quite as aerodynamic.  

Geese on the river is a sign that the seasons will change before too long.  And Erik marched two years with the Casper Troopers Drum and Bugle Corps.  They are one of the oldest corps still playing.  Its pretty remarkable that Casper can still support the Troop against all the well funded corps.  Another Wyoming blessing.

The Isaak Walton League of Casper is located there also.
   






Comments