YCGL - Minnesota - Day 16 - Monday , May 2 - Minneapolis - 0 miles

 I have been trying to get in contact with a friend for a long time.  She and Sally were long term friends, but she has not responded to either emails or phone calls from me for a while.  I had planned Monday for her if she got back with me.  I left the afternoon and evening open for her but as of last night, I hadn't heard a thing.  

So, I took an entirely lazy morning, as I was planning to stay here for two more nights.  The internet connection was pure crap. If I got on to their network, it would drop in two or three minutes, so pretty much everything I did here was hotspotted off my phone.  Same as on Southwest trip earlier this year.  Its almost like RV park operators don't realize that we use the connection the same as they do.  I can't transfer pictures from my phone to my laptop without the net.  I can't open my blog engine without the internet.  It's the primary reason I get behind, because when it takes two or three hours to connect and reconnect and reconnect ad nauseum to write these, it gets tedious.  

Short story is, I pretty much stayed home and had a quiet day to myself.  I need more days like this when I travel.  I have days in a row when I don't see anyone when I'm home, and thoroughly enjoy it.  I need to do it here also.

On the other  hand, it also gave me a chance to think about the upcoming days.  I had scheduled three nights in the Cities, then a night in St. Cloud, a night in Detroit Lakes and then three nights in Fertile with the cousins.  But, since I made that schedule, I've been in contact with another of Sally's second cousins.  He is the grandson of one of Kirsti Moen's brothers, Esten.  He lives in Brainerd, MN, about 60 miles north of St. Cloud.  Since I don't have anything planned for tomorrow either, I could leave tomorrow, spend two nights in St. Cloud, see Sally's cousins there the first night, and drive to Brainerd in the car the next day and drive back, stay at the RV park in St. Cloud and head off to parts known the next day.  So that's what I'm going to do if things work out.  

No pictures yet today.  When you see a picture on the opening page for today, you'll know I've updated. Nothing terribly special today, but I know a lot of you have not seen my motorhome and my living space.  


The entry, refrigerator and sink and continuing, the stove and microwave.  Everything in the sink is clean, but it also holds everything that might slide around while I'm driving.  The slinky on the floor is an extended heating duct.  The furnace has two large ducts on the wall next to the door to heat the living room.  There is only a tiny duct in the bedroom, so I got a long dryer hose and a fitting to attach a dryer hose to the wall and remove it.  A simple twist and its on or off.  It keeps the bedroom several degrees warmer than the living room.  The bigger black box next to the door is the solar panel input and battery charger.  Right in the middle of the left picture is my towel hanging by the shower door and the edge of the bed.  

The dining room, with the dining room table used like it often is at home, for my laptop.  The purple wall is from a bedroom set we bought for the old motorhome.  Here, it serves as wall to keep the heat inside the cabin and not the the truck cab.  It also keeps the sun out in the morning if we are parked to the east.  It's held in place by a long strip of velcro so it comes down easily when we want more sun in cabin or when we're driving.  What you don't see behind the window shade is the thick layer of reflective insulation from a truck windshield shade.  It really helps keep the heat in (or out).


The living room in the slide out.  I replaced the awful J-bed with the two recliners.  Maybe my best upgrade.  They slide down close to flat and there is still just enough space between the bottom of the foot rests and the table to get by.  When the slide is in, we can't recline, but can easily put our feet on the bench seats of the table. Note the fgull cabinets all the way around in the living room. 


The closet wall and the foot of the bed when the bedroom slide is out.  More than anything else, the closet space is what sold this model to me.  It's double or triple the size of most closets in motorhomes and travel trailers.  When it's cold out, I leave the slide in and the foot of the bed slides just under the row of drawers.  It makes the bed a little shorter, but keeps the room a little warmer because the heated volume is less and the seal around the slide door is tighter than in the open position.  
                 
The bed is an RV Queen.  It is 60"x74" instead of 60"x80" like normal.  So it is a little short to begin with and with the slide in, it is shorter yet.  But I'm 67" which is less than 74", so it isn't that big a problem.  The mattress pad is electric, so with the spread and the quilt, the bed is always warm, even if the room is cold.  The shiny thing on the bed is the insulator for the rear window.  It is from a truck windshield shade.  You can see the mirror cutout on the window above the pillows.  The bathroom has a big sink, three mirrors and a medicine cabinet as big as some house cabinets.  The stool is ceramic and not plastic and is easy to clean and will stay white.    

 
Curb side with door and awning.  I haven't had the awning out yet this year because of the wind.
The street side with the living room slide out and the bedroom slide in.  Water with the blue hose, electricity from the power stand and the black cable and the sewer with the red hose all connected.  
So, that's the motorhome in all its glory.  You can see it is not a hardship living in here.  You can see why I love it, and hate to give it up for a smaller unit.  But losing eight to ten feet of total length would also be lovely.  It's a toss up. 

Comments