YCGL - Sunday, September 25 - No Big Deal

 I started telling you about the clothes selections that I made.  After I unhitched the truck at Colorado Springs, I drove over to Walmart to look for short-sleeved shirts and shorts.  I didn't need anything fancy, so Wally World was fine.  Except.... the end of September is not a great time to be looking for summer clothes, even there.  I found one pair of shorts my size, in black, not a favorite for me.  But they were only $7.00, so no complaints (other than what I'm writing here, I guess).  And there were No short sleeve shirts at all!  There were some long-sleeved shirts on sale (probably holdovers from last year!) and I got two.  

After having some difficulties maneuvering the trailer into the parking lot at Smiling Toad, I was able to pull right out.  Three turns and I was on I-25 heading south.  This is all familiar territory for me.  We've driven from Conroe to Colorado Springs since high school.  

The only interesting thing to report on the drive was at a rest stop north of Trinidad.  As I was pulling out, a MadMax vehicle pulled in.

I should have gotten out and taken the picture, but I was already buckled in and ready to go.  The front end of the truck was a Ford 350, the middle was a backwards coupe body from the 40s and then a pickup camper on the back.  I could just make out the "Student Driver" sticker on the back.  As I pulled out, I heard the owner say that it had an International diesel engine.  I wonder how he registered it.  

The drive through Trinidad, over Raton Pass and down to Springer, NM went as smoothly as can be.  Why Springer, NM?  It is almost exactly halfway between C. Springs and ALBQ and it's a nice name (right, Shad and Shelly?).  

The RV park (The Santa Fe Trail RV Park) was no resort.  But it had full hookups, was fairly level, and $25.  Can't complain.  And it was really hands-off.  You slipped your $25 into a slot on the door.  None of this friendly banter when you drive in, no explanation about the hookups, nothing about the dogs, etc.  

I hit a small filling station for diesel and went into the store because I needed a $20 broken down for the RV payment.  I asked the attendant, "What's there to do in Springer?"  He looked like a high school student or just out and he said, "Absolutely Nothing!"  We both laughed, but he was right.  I drove around town, out of town, drove through from a different direction and he was right.  I did drive out to Springer Reservoir and looked at the dam.  It had a totally inadequate spillway, but frankly, if the dam got washed out, there wasn't much below it that would be damaged in the watershed.  

Albuquerque tomorrow!


Comments