YCGL - Day 19 - Thursday, April 18, 2024 - Darn, Heck, Oh Well, I;ll just have a glass of Wine - Final

It was supposed to be an easy day.  I'd dump my tanks before I left, hook up and take off.  Head north out of Conroe on the Interstate to just north of Huntsville and then cut off to the north east and drive to Marshall, TX and stay at a Harvest Host there, Enoch's Stomp Vineyard and Winery.  And things went pretty smoothly on the drive.  As I got to Marshall, my fuel light came on and I started looking for a place that had diesel.  I was on a four lane highway when I saw a convenience store that had a diesel price on the sign and a very quick glance showed a set of truck pumps on the far side.  So, from driving 60 mph, I slowed down quickly, had my turn signals on and started to turn into the street right before the station.  The traffic was fairly heavy at 4:30 and so I was turning as quickly as I felt comfortable so I wouldn't slow traffic down too much behind me.  But, as I started my turn, a pickup drove up into the left turn lane on the street and crowded the inside of the lane.  It made me have to cut my turn much sharper, but it wouldn't normally be that big of a problem except, the new concrete street had recently been placed and the fill had not yet been placed next to the concrete.  There was at least a one foot drop off the edge of the concrete and my sharper turn caused my trailer tires to go off the concrete and drop in the void.  And I heard a crunching sound at the same time.  The tires grabbed the edge and popped back up onto the concrete again and I finished my turn.  

When I finally got to the pumps and walked around the trailer to look at the tires, I saw that my steps had shifted.  The crunch was the trailer landing on my steps and then being pulled and bent the heck out of the frame.  Enough that I couldn't unfold them.  I'd say they were bent 3-4 inches.  So now, I've got to climb up the steps to get to the floor of the trailer.

Well, there wasn't anything I could do, so that's the new normal.  I did remember I had a folding step in the trailer, so I could put that down for the first step up.  And then I remembered I had a chance to get them to work later in the week.  To be continued.....

So, nothing left to do but drive to the winery, set up in their grassy area for Harvest Hosts and buy some wine.  Life's not all bad....







Comments