YCGL - Thursday, April 4, 2024 - Day 5 - Lubbock to Ballinger, TX - So, What is it Today?

 Not much, only a bald tire that needed to be replaced.  As I was doing my walk-around the trailer, I saw that one of my tires has been scrubbed down to almost the radial belts on the inside.  I've had suspicions about that axle for a while, but this confirmed it.  Knowing how long it takes to get an appointment to straighten an axle, it won't happen until I'm back home.  Sadly, I think it is also effecting my mileage.  

I looked up "tires near by" and there was a mechanical and tire shop about two miles away, in the direction that I was going to be heading.  I called and they had the tire and I could get in right away.  I was in and out in about 25 minutes.  And it was a reasonable price.  Overall, it was a good stop.

Ballinger was the town where they had RV sites in the city park, but it was first come, first serve.  I personally hate that.  I want to know that I'll have a place to be when I get there.  So, I wanted to get there as soon as possible, after replacing the tire.  I got to the city hall about 3:30 to register.  The lady at the desk told me there were two RVs at the river bank and two more scattered around the city park, so she was correct, even four days before the eclipse.  Go figure.  

I had the steak and chicken buffet at the local steakhouse.  The entire meal was pretty forgettable  except the salad.  It tasted like a good, old fashioned, buffet salad, except no tomatoes. And with plenty of croutons and real fake bacon bits.  And rather than stare at people, I read during dinner.  I've been rereading my Louise Penny Armand Gamache novels.  I was almost finished with "The Cruelest Month" when I decided to give up my table.  So I went out to the truck and sat there and finished the book.  They are really good.  (Yes, I see more than a little of Gamache in me.  Always fighting for the underdog.  Or, as I would say to my failing undergraduates, "Now, what can WE do to make you successful."  Having been there myself, and having the help of a revered professor, I always felt I had to pass it on.)

And now for something completely different.  I went to Wally World after the dinner.  As I was going to the checkout stand at 10:30, I passed their clearance shelves.  And one item caught my eye.  

It's the Suck Kut!  "It sucks and it kuts."  "Yes, Ron, it really sucks."  And if you don't remember that infomercial from Wayne's World, you really should watch the movie again.  It's been long enough.  And, because I was thinking about sending the picture off to Liz and Erik, I left the astroturf welcome mat in my cart.  Heck.  

"Party On, Wayne!"  "Party On, Garth!"  
"Excellent!"

YCGL - Wednesday, April 3, 2024 - Day 4 - Amarillo to Lubbock, TX and Debbie and Bob and Palo Duro (...And Rain on the Roof)

Comments