YCGL - Wednesday, April 3, 2024 - Day 4 - Amarillo to Lubbock, TX and Debbie and Bob and Palo Duro (...And Rain on the Roof)

 OK, there wasn't any rain, but the title reminded me of the Lovin' Spoonful.  

I had a nice leisurely late breakfast with Debbie and Bob, maybe even later than I thought, I just realized that my watch hadn't updated so I may have been even an hour later than I thought.  They are an easy couple to relax with.  We went out on their patio to take some pictures.  Their house is monumental and the property around it is breathtaking.  


They are a wonderful and special couple who were high school sweethearts and have been together this whole time.  
Their property extends to just behind the trees.  They hire out the lawn cutting, but Debbie mows everything else beyond the edge of the grass.  You can't get the farm out of the girl!

Something I had never heard of growing up but that Pete and Carol have talked about a lot is Palo Duro Canyon, just south of Amarillo.  It is the second-largest canyon in the US.  When they thought I was staying for a couple of days, they had planned to take me there.  I had made my drive the next day short so that I could stop to see it, but then I realized that I could have tour guides that were familiar with the canyon.  I followed them to the state park, hopeing that I could park the rig above the canyon rim.  Unfortunately, the large parking lots were at the bottom of the canyon, so it precluded being able to stop on the way down and take pictures.  Luckily, on the way out, there were several pull-offs large enough to park the rig so I got some overall shots as I drove out.  


Below is the Trails Map of the park.  The entire park is two to three times bigger than the area shown, but no access roads go down there.  I would recommend clicking on the map and letting it blow up. Close it by hitting the X in the upper right-hand corner.  The overview pictures below are from the upper left-hand region between the points of interest #2-#6. This is the section where the road drops 500 feet from the rim to the floor of the canyon.  In the lower left corner is number 8, this is the Lighthouse, the symbol of the park.  The lowest point on the map at number 10 is the Big Cave.  



This is the view from the upper rim at the CCC Overlook, #2
The sign describing the CCC Trail from the rim to the canyon floor 500 feet below.
The lower corner of the sign describing the Civilian Conservation Corps.  Most national parks and monuments still use the trails and buildings constructed by the CCC in the 1930s.  It was a very useful program back then and would be equally useful now.

This is located around #5.


This is at the start of the Triassic Trail.

This is from where the arrow is pointing for the CCC Trail.  The layering looks very similar to the layering at the Grand Canyon.                                                                                                                    



The Lighthouse - It is the symbol of the Palo Duro Canyon.  It is a 2.8 mile hike from the parking lot. It is #8 on the map, lower left hand corner.


The Big Cave.  
The circle shows two hikers, the man is wearing a yellow shirt.

Needless to say, it was a beautiful day and a great way to spend a little more time with Debbie and Bob.  After they left, I stayed and had lunch and then drove up and out of the canyon, stopping to take the pictures above.  It would have been easy to stay for a day or two and hike and read.  

But it was on to the next stop in Lubbock.  




Comments

  1. Glad your trip is going well! We loved Palo Duro Canyon when we stopped there some years ago. Wishing you safe travels and no more "alarm" pigeons.
    Jaye

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment