YCGL - Thursday, March2, 2023 - Somewhat More of the Same(?)

I’m at a very nice state campground (Green River State Park) in Green River, UT.  Green River is one of the headwaters of the Colorado River system.  From here, it flows south to join the Colorado River in Canyonlands National Park.  But the campground looks like a golf course, which the park has, so it’s not really scenic.  Nor does it have internet, which I didn’t think asking about, and I can’t seem to hotspot off of LTE on Verizon,  I hope the tribal campground I’m going to be in tomorrow has it, or I’ll be forced to eat somewhere at Mickey D’s, which is not a favorite. 

Last night (Wednesday), I stayed at River Camp RV in Meeker, CO.  Sally and I have stayed there about four times over the years.  It is small, maybe 20 sites, but it is right on the White River and is surprisingly quiet for being close to the highway. Animals (deer and elk) abound and will walk through the campground to get to the river.  And there must be a gaggle of turkeys here based on their tracks. 

The two downsides of the place (beside the price) have been a large percentage of permanent residents and the alcoholic campground host, who had a problem keeping things maintained, like the reservations and the grounds.  But, we wouldn’t stay anywhere else in a 50 mile radius.  

So River Camp was the first place I booked when I decided to go. And since it was going to cold, I’m running dry so didn’t need water or sewer, just electric.  I saved $20 by staying in a dry site.  

I got there at 5:45, pulled past where the campground host had lived, and everything was in a couple of feet of snow.  I couldn’t see the site I reserved.  I got out and started walking on the ice and snow packed main road back to where the campground host used to live.  I heard behind me a lady calling, “Sir, can I help you, what do you want?”  “I have a reservation for site B.”  “When?” “Tonight.”  Pause…..”uhhh, everyone here is permanent and I don’t have any open sites. We haven’t had anyone visit in months.”  “Oh…? Yeah, I can see that.  Is there anywhere I can just plug in?”  “Well, no one is parked on that road and the electrical box is fairly close.  You can park in the road there. Everyone else can just drive around the outer loop.”   

I pulled over as close to the side as possible so I could reach the box, but a car couldn’t have gotten past me.  It was pretty level and I was so tired, once I got inside, I never went out again.  So I didn’t get pictures that evening, just the next morning.  

We talked for a while. She and her husband lived there several years and took over when the previous host left.  They have done a number of improvements, including maintaining the grounds, upgrading the wireless (?), planting flowers around, she said it looked really nice. I hope it will be later in the year next time I visit.  I just got a really good vibe when I talked to her.  They are really trying to do something nice.  

Hey, I found how to load pictures, but I have no control on sizing them. 

It was 28 degrees when I started rolling out. I did have electricity which was all I wanted.  With it this cold, I don’t want any water in my system.  The next two nights will be in the 20’s still, so I probably won’t water up until I get to Las Vegas.  

Turkey tracks around my site. I didn’t see them, however.  They must sleep even later than I do!  ;))

More tracks.  

It is very convenient to not have to unhook if you don’t have anywhere to go. And since I can start the diesel from the trailer, it was warmed up and ready to go when I got there.  

The steps were frozen when when I got there Wednesday late afternoon, so I put a small step stool beside them. It had melted quite a bit by this time (12:30) but still wouldn’t lower. When I got to Green River, it had largely melted, but the road sand and gravel still made it tough to open.  

Thank goodness for the metal front guard. Over half had melted by this time.  You couldn’t see the lamp in the center of the picture. 

More tomorrow. 👍🏼

Comments