You Can't Get Lost - Day 16

 Today was a travel day.  Everything loose was thrown into sinks or boxes or cabinets.  I decided to not dump there because I had been sitting there for nine days and I'd rather have the tanks sloshed around good before I dump.  I'll do it before I leave here (Williams, AZ).  

The drive to Williams, AZ was uneventful, which is always nice.     

Not to say without incidence.  When I stopped to get gas in Kingman, the Love's station was packed and I had to wait to get to a pump.  Not unusual.  I had to pull in behind a car that was filling but didn't have problems stretching the hose to the filler spout.  It did take a while to fill, and it ended up at $140 (at $4.49/gal, which was cheaper than I paid in LV filling the Sonic).  The car in front pulled out and I was just getting ready to pull out also when a car backed into the space and blocked me.  (I can't back up because I'm pulling a car behind me.)  He put the hose into the spout, and then walked away with the family to go inside the station.  They were gone 15 minutes before he walked out and pulled the car ahead.  That is rude.  Don't ever leave the car with the hose hanging there.  Too many things can happen.  And don't leave a car in a busy station (or an empty one for that matter).

I also needed propane, so I was able to drive around to the propane tank, close enough for the hose to reach, which was tricky because their supply tank was located at the corner of the lot against the curb.  I had to turn the motorhome at an angle so I could get close enough and still turn to get out.    I called on their squawk box that I wanted propane and I could not understand a single word the guy said.  I waited about 10 minutes and then walked inside to ask again for someone to come out.  About 10 minutes later, a guy came ambling out and started to hook up the hose.  For some reason, he couldn't get the hose connector to match up with the tank.  He tried about 5 or 6 times before it finally worked.  So, my quick gas and propane fill took almost an hour.  Luckily it was at the midway point for the day, so I got my land legs on again.  

And though no incidents occurred on the rest of the drive, I have to say that the road itself was one of the worst surfaced roads I've driven on.  In places, it was almost as rough and bumpy as an unpaved road.  I know my black and gray water tanks got "well shaken and not stirred."

Maybe it was because I was on Route 66, and Arizona just wants you to get a feel for what driving the "Mother Road" was like 70-100 years ago.  When I leave here, I'll try to drive some of the old sections between here and Albuquerque.  Just Me and my Corvette.  (well, maybe my Chevy Sonic....and my motorhome pulling it).

Tomorrow, the Grand Canyon Railroad!

Comments