You Can't Get Lost - Day 28

Other than having a tight squeeze getting out of an older Love's service station, the trip from Las Vegas to Pueblo West was an easy drive.  In fact, I rather enjoyed it.  The geography is really varied, from the flat desert country between Las Vegas and Raton, to the famed pass in southern Colorado to Trinidad to watching the Spanish Peaks glide by to the old I-25 section through Pueblo.  When I'm screaming past all of this trying to get from Albuquerque to Laramie in a day, it gets really boring through this section, but not today.  

And I had a mission. I was trying to get to my next stop as quickly as possible, before 4:00.  I was going to my first Harvest Host.  

Harvest Host started in 2015.  From their website.

What is Harvest Hosts?

Harvest Hosts is a membership program that provides access to a network of wineries, farms, breweries, museums and other unique attractions that invite self-contained RVers to visit and stay overnight. For a yearly membership fee, Harvest Hosts’ members are invited to stay at hundreds of interesting locations around North America, and experience new opportunities to explore and enjoy the RVing lifestyle. The company’s goal is to provide meaningful experiences for RVers and Hosts alike.



This is the review I wrote about Trolley Turner, i.e., Boris and Jorgette Krsulic

This was my first Harvest Host stay, and I felt I picked a winner. There was plenty of space available to park and there were two us camping that night. Water is available. 

We first met Boris and Jorgette around a table in his shop and talked for about 15 minutes. Then Jorgette and the other wife when into the house to talk quilting. 

Then the magic happened. Boris led the two of us through the wood lathe, selecting wood to work on, mounting and setting up the piece, all the while talking about safety and things to watch out for. He showed the three basic turning tools and what they did. He then started cutting away at piece of old lumber, rounding it down and shaping. Then he did the "hands on". It had been almost 40 years since I had touched a lathe, but felt confident while he guided my work. I didn't want to give up my turn. 

When we finished, we had made a mallet. Then he mounted another piece of wood and carved a bowl. His speed and precision was impressive. We were there for 2 hours and it could have been two more. I was so enthralled that I forgot to take pictures. Later that evening, we sat around their dining table and got to know all five of us better. It was a great stay, and I would go back tomorrow. One word of caution, they will be moving in a month to Georgia, where they have purchased a RV park. If you are traveling that way, look them up. It was a great experience.


Ha!!  I see that the two pictures I summitted for the review (above) are now on their website.

That is not the bowl that he turned that day.  He will make a bowl, wrap it in paper and plastic and then store it in his basement.  He lets it age for about two years.  This gives it a chance to dry slowly and hopefully prevent cracking as the wood shrinks.  The one I bought was turned in 2020 and he finished this one about a week ago.  BTW, the name Trolley Turner comes from a street trolley they bought from St. Paul, MN and that they are going to outfit it into a traveling wood turning workshop.  

The next morning, they were on their way up to Aspen to work with disabled veterans.  Boris works with quadriplegics and Jorgette works with blind.  They help with all aspects, but their specialty is curling.  They are quite a couple.  

So, now I'm writing about day 29 and going home.  So, go to the next page.

Comments

  1. That is really cool! I'm late to finishing up your blog due to my own travels...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment