You Can't Get Lost - Day 29 - Home

 Quick update and I'll go back and fill in the other days. But,

I'm home, safe and sound, no mechanical or mental problems.  It's been a great trip.  I've had a wonderful time, I've seen relatives, friends, places, new people, I've had a great time.  

Some summary stuff.

I drove 2674 miles.
My average cost per day was $146.60, which included all the gas, the basketball tickets, the train tickets, the hotels and RV parks, meals, groceries, books, gifts and donations, everything.  This was a little higher than our average cost on long trips of about $136/day.  And, of course, There was only one person , not two.  

Gas cost 27% of the total cost.  Over the past years, that was closer to 21%.  I averaged 7.76 miles per gallon.  I drove at 60 mph the whole way, which helped with mileage of course.  

I missed my co-pilot.  Sally has always been a presence in the motorhome, but she wasn't there this time, for reasons far beyond her control. She wasn't there to talk to and with, to share meals and entertainments with me.  To hold the AAA maps (which she ordered) while I read them,   To continually catch up with friends on Facebook.  To help back me in to spaces and tell me when to stop at sewer lines and gas pumps.  To have breakfast going when I finally rolled out of bed.  

The new normal is still not normal.  And, at 31 feet long and 8 feet wide, the motorhome seemed too big.  Bigger than I want, bigger than I need.  We bought this in May, 2013.  (Actually, mom was my first co-pilot.  I bought it in Houston, worked on it in the driveway in Conroe for a couple of days, and then mom and I drove up to Lake Livingston and camped out for two nights.  Another memory.)

The trip to Minnesota will be tough also, too many "places I'll remember, All my life, though some have changed...."  And maybe its appropriate to stop with a Beatles song, especially this one.  

You know what I mean.   



.......................................................................

My Maserati does 185,
I lost my license, now I don't drive.
I have a limo, ride in the back,
I lock the doors in case I'm attacked.  

....

"Life's Been Good"

Joe Walsh

I remembered this verse as I was driving home and my GPS didn't want me on the interstate.  It kept trying to push me off onto side roads, a number of which are dead ends.  By shear luck, I know my way home from Denver. :)

But, Life's Been Good.  

Love You All!!!


I have a mansion, forget the price
Ain't never been there, they tell me it's nice
I live in hotels, tear out the walls
I have accountants pay for it all
They say I'm crazy but I have a good time
I'm just looking for clues at the scene of the crime
Life's been good to me so far
My Maserati does one-eighty-five
I lost my license, now I don't drive
I have a limo, ride in the back
I lock the doors in case I'm attacked
I'm makin' records, my fans they can't wait
They write me letters, tell me I'm great
So I got me an office, gold records on the wall
Just leave a message, maybe I'll call
Lucky I'm sane after all I've been through
(Everybody say, "I'm cool, " "He's cool")
I can't complain but sometimes I still do
Life's been good to me so far
I go to parties sometimes until four
It's hard to leave when you can't find the door
It's tough to handle this fortune and fame
Everybody's so different, I haven't changed
They say I'm lazy but it takes all my time
(Everybody say, "Oh yeah, " "Oh yeah")
I keep on goin' guess I'll never know why
Life's been good to me so far
Ah, yeah, yeah

Comments

  1. Glad you are home safe and sound. Just a quick breather before the fun starts again on your trip to Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment