You Can't Get Lost - Day 24


Winslow, AZ  in the 1970s was a dying town.  It had the La Posada which the railroad was using as offices and was falling into ruin.  Other than the depot, there wasn't much else to do in Winslow and the town was going down.  Until the Eagles had their first hit song, "Take It Easy" which had the line:

Well, I'm standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona,
Such a fine sight to see,
It's a girl my Lord in a flatbed Ford
Slowing down to look at me.
(Jackson Brown)

The city found that people stopped at a number of corners in town and took pictures.  The city then got a local to dedicate a corner property to erect a statue "standing on a corner..."  


There is a Flatbed Ford in the wall painting and a real one parked at the curb.  The window above the W has an Eagle perched there and a couple in the window above the star.  There were people standing in line to take pictures.  I happened to catch a hole in the line.  

The drive to Albuquerque was one of the longer drives and I got there at 7:00 with a surprise!  Wilbur's (Sandy's husband) sister Carolyn and husband Wes were there.  They had been spending 2 months in Yuma, AZ and were heading home and stayed over an extra night to see me.  We had a great dinner and talked about reunions and visiting when I take my Minnesota trip.  It's a big family!  What a Gift!
 

Comments